Sunday, April 01, 2007

True Community: What I Learned at WPPI


Celebrating with Greg Gibson, Matt Mendelsohn, Brooks & Leigh Whittington, Tyler and Pam Wirken, Joanna Pinneo

It’s the question.

“What did you learn during the whirlwind WPPI week?”

And there is one thing –– maybe the most important thing I will ever learn.

Pepper Nix and Mitch Burt challenged me to think about it. My husband and business partners demonstrated it to me with continued acts of patience (even when I didn’t deserve it!) Me Ra Koh reinforced its meaning with her infectious warmth.

It is at the core of business, particularly a business built on a foundation of relationships.

It is the true meaning of community.

The word “community” is often used to describe a group of people who are linked by geography or by a common interest. True community, however, is much deeper –– and quite rare. True community is a group of people who, regardless of their backgrounds and beliefs, are able to accept and transcend their differences, enabling them to communicate effectively and openly.

I believe the most important business principle is to love people without any expectations. When we don’t expect anything in return, we understand what it means to love unconditionally. And when we understand what it means to love unconditionally, we discover the true meaning of community.

In my opinion, a fulfilled life is one lived in community, rooted in unconditional love for each other.

"What life have you if not life together? There is no life that is not in community…"

-- T.S. Eliot

-Rachel

6 Comments:

Blogger || davidjay || said...

Right on!

April 01, 2007 5:44 PM  
Blogger Rodolfo Arpia said...

I learned that you are like the '4' Musketeers ;-)

I really enjoyed having dinner with you guys. See you soon.

April 02, 2007 2:55 AM  
Blogger 6 of Four Creations said...

What a beautiful post Rachel. I love your outlook at it always inspires me and speaks to my soul.

April 02, 2007 9:55 AM  
Blogger STEVE DePINO said...

Soooo true

April 02, 2007 12:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow Rachel, that really hit home with me and I can definitly see that you really believe that by the amazing warmth I felt immediately when I met you. And the proof is that I just got home after a very long week and I just couldn't wait to check this blog! ;)

Best,
Tina

April 02, 2007 3:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Inspiring and very, very well said.

April 02, 2007 10:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home