Saturday, August 25, 2007

Tagged ::
8 Things you might not know about Rachel



1. I am a P.K.—preacher's kid. My Presbyterian minister father and I had heated debates about theology at the dinner table and I rebelled just a bit. Thankfully, my parents showed me a lot of grace and I turned out okay afterall!

2. I lived in College Station, TX for six years. Fortunately, I moved away before I was old enough to buy hairspray.

3. Wanderlust is a serious problem for me. My high school friends called me "Restless Rachel" because I was always on the go. Before my 16th birthday, I had traveled in Germany, France, Luxembourg, Hungary, Austria, Switzerland, Ecuador, Jamaica and Mexico. Also, I have a bad habit of pacing while talking on the phone.

4. I spent part of my senior year in college traveling in the Dominican Republic. I lived with a family in La Penda, a rural community that had no electricity, roads or plumbing. Rolling old bicycle tires with local kids was one of the most sublime experiences I've ever had. Also, there's nothing like hanging on for dear life while riding a motorcycle up a muddy mountain pass! (Sorry Mom)

5. I am obsessed with language and could spend hours reading a dictionary. Or, better yet, losing a night's sleep to www.visualthesaurus.com

6. I was/am a tomboy. Evidence: only girl on the Little League baseball team, collected He-Man action figures (She-Ra was a wuss!) and built a half-pipe so I could practice skateboarding tricks I picked up in Thrasher magazine. (Yes, I had a subscription.)

7. I don't care much for sports, but I'm obsessed with soccer, the real fĂștbol!

8. I love the long-lost art of the handwritten letter. If you want to win my heart, mail me one.

I'd like to tag the following fine folks:

Me Ra Koh
Matt Mendelsohn
Denis Reggie (it's no big secret DR doesn't have a blog, so we'll have to work harder on this one!)
Mitch Burt & Pepper Nix
Carlos Baez

* Bonus secret: This is the photograph that changed my career path. I was studying photojournalism and was driven by my restless desire to wander the world. When my editor sent me on an assignment to photograph a midwife, I traded my front-row seat to world history for a front-row seat to family history.

-Rachel

7 Comments:

Blogger Kristina said...

two down, two to go! :) I love that picture :) I know you are no girly girl but I have to admit I was not seeing you on a skateboard! :) I hope I get to hear more of your travels someday :)

August 26, 2007 2:42 AM  
Blogger Brian + Gry said...

I'll second the riding a motorcycle up the muddy mountain pass. . .I used to race motocross and sometimes had an inch or so of mud fused to me! Love it! (Just looked at a new Harley yesterday though. . .)
Oh and Sara thought it was cool that you like fĂștbol, she wants to show you what she learned in soccer camp this summer.

xoxoxo,
brian + gry

August 26, 2007 1:17 PM  
Blogger J said...

So cool to hear more about you guys! Wouldn't have guessed the skateboarder aspect, so cool to hear about it. Looking forward to seeing you all in Maine?!? :)

August 26, 2007 8:11 PM  
Blogger Mike Larson said...

your travel and cultured life is so intriguing, reading at where you have lived i feel like a high school kid who never left his hometown ,and just surfed all his life. Inspiring!

August 27, 2007 1:54 AM  
Blogger 6 of Four Creations said...

Your bonus secret is my favorite. : ) After studying midwives in college, I can relate to the story of this image.

Great post!

August 27, 2007 10:20 AM  
Blogger Delaney Holliman said...

Thrasher magazine!?? How cool is that? You ever thought about doing some photojournalsim around that? How fun would it be to see you on a board!

Way cool!

Love you guys,

Delaney

August 28, 2007 10:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a treat it was to read your 8 things list! Of course everything you listed was already in my memory bank since I am your mom!

August 29, 2007 3:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home