Friday, May 30, 2008

Beckoning Horizons

Never have I found the limits of the photographic potential. Every horizon, upon being reached, reveals another beckoning in the distance. Always, I am on the threshold.
—W. Eugene Smith




In the past three days, we've traversed the state of California, from San Francisco to San Diego. It's incredible how much emotional, intellectual and psychological distance can be covered in such a short time. Some things can't be measure in miles, only in milestones.

I wish I could share all of the business developments with you now, but many are looming like shadow play on the horizon. One thing is certain: LaCour and ShootQ stand together at an important crossroads.

Our first stop in San Francisco reconnected me with my mentor, Kim Komenich. During my time at the Missouri School of Journalism, Kim's passion for photography and storytelling fueled my love for photojournalism and life in general. He was both a guide and a friend. Having lunch with him was like coming home; it was a rare opportunity to witness life coming full circle. As I sat across a battered bistro table from someone whose influence on the direction of my photographic life is immeasurable, I felt ineffably grateful. Without Kim's guidance, I would not approach weddings with a storyteller's eye.



After lunch with Kim, Andrew and I joined a wonderful group of photographers in San Jose for a presentation about LaCour and ShootQ. We were thankful for the many insightful questions we heard from this group! It was a combined PUG, with San Jose, San Francisco and Sacramento photographers.

Andrew demos ShootQ for the PUG.

Following the PUG, Andrew and I had a series of encouraging, ShootQ-related meetings. As I said earlier, I wish I could share more details. More to come...stay tuned. Needless to say, my journey from student at the Missouri School of Journalism to wedding photographer to software company owner has been filled with curiosity, challenges and creativity!


Wheels up over Silicon Valley

-Rachel

3 Comments:

Blogger Garrett Nudd Photography Blog said...

Hey guys, from LAX! Guess we just missed you. Excited about all the ShootQ success!

June 02, 2008 12:04 PM  
Blogger Jasmine said...

hey guys! it was great seeing you in santa barbara! i passed by britney spears' house in malibu and she sent her regards! ;)

June 06, 2008 12:53 AM  
Blogger Christine said...

zOMG. Google is buying ShootQ, aren't they? ;-) It is ok, I know you can't respond about it until it is all final. Heehee!

It will be exciting to watch where you guys go and where everything ends up. I can't wait!

June 20, 2008 6:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home