Monday, June 23, 2008

Urban Intersections: It's a Small World, Afterall


Ascending the last subway stair, I glanced up from my sun-flare stupor and saw an old friend out of the corner of my eye. Andrew and I stopped abruptly, as worlds collided in midtown Manhattan. There, standing a few feet from us, was California photographer Carey Schumacher! This random intersection was an unexpected highlight of our NYC visit. I'm always amazed that in a city of over 8 million people, you can simply bump into an old friend who lives across the country. These small-world reminders make me laugh, because they confirm my belief that we are more interconnected than we know!

After catching up with Carey and her son Mat, we made our way to the MOMA. My favorite sculpture resides there, and I've always wanted to share it with Andrew. It was a perfect way to end our day because the sculpture conveys themes of urban intersections and human connection. The sculpture,"City Square," was created by Alberto Giacometti in response to urban life. The figures in the sculpture appear to stride toward each other, but they would pass each other by mere millimeters if they were to continue on their course.

Giacometti observed urban life as an art form, "In the street people astound and interest me more than any sculpture or painting. Every second the people stream together and go apart, then they approach each other to get closer to one another. They unceasingly form and re-form living compositions!"



-Rachel

1 Comments:

Blogger 6 of Four Creations said...

This sculptures by Giacometti was definitely one of my favorite going through my design classes. Truly amazing in how it depicts our pace of life and interactions. Thanks for posting this!

kt

June 23, 2008 10:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home