Sunday, May 20, 2007

The Edge of the World


We scrambled over a lunar landscape and stood on the edge of the world. All that separated us from Newfoundland was a 300 foot drop and a raging sea. From this exhilarating vantage point on the Aran Islands, we watched nature's fireworks display. My feet felt thunderclap tremors through solid stone as wild waves crashed against the cliffs. I have never felt so small, so humbled.

On our first date, Andrew asked me to name my life goals. I listed my priorities of faith, family and friends. Then, I paused to add...unlimited plane tickets! I have an insatiable desire to see and experience the world. I am passionate about traveling. (I inherited this trait from my grandmother, Sarah Lincoln LaCour.) Thankfully, Andrew and I share this passion and have made travel a high priority in our life together.

Travel is intensified living. It pushes your boundaries and makes you feel more awake and engaged with the world. So, I highly recommend trying life without guard rails. I did today and it was one of the most memorable moments in my life.
-Rachel

Here are some photos from our experience in Ireland:


Our incredible Aran Islands guide, Kevin, and his friendly horse, Charlie, acquainted us with his home.



By the Black Fort on Inishmore (above)


Andrew's sister, Sudie, and her favorite past time, singing Pub Songs at Taaffe's Pub.

The live band at Taaffe's pub.

Shootsac meets Ireland.

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rachel, you always get me going when you start talking! I love what you said about traveling and it is exactly how i feel, now i have to get brian to get it ;)

What an amazing trip with pictures to compliment your thoughts perfectly!

Thanks for sharing!
Tina

May 20, 2007 11:55 AM  
Blogger 6 of Four Creations said...

Beautiful writing, beautiful pictures...awesome people. You guys rock!

Chris and Katie

May 21, 2007 9:13 AM  
Blogger J said...

Amazing trip! Ireland is so beautiful and you guys look like you took full advantage of the local scene...and with a shootsac flamingo in tow no less!

May 21, 2007 10:56 AM  
Blogger Sarah Barlow said...

Wow!! Awesome pics! I'm so jealous you guys are in Ireland! That's definitely up near the top of the places I want to visit and seeing the pics makes me want to go even more! Have fun!! :) Love the flamingo pic! haha!

May 21, 2007 4:06 PM  
Blogger Cameron Clark | baby business blog said...

Gheese Andrew-- the first date and already the life goals? What did you ask on the second date?

Re: Ireland. JEALOUS. Seriously, I can't believe the flamingo got there before me. My own Shootsac is coming this week...so excited!!

May 21, 2007 8:11 PM  
Blogger swan said...

Beautiful stuff, guys. Take more trips. Send more photos.

:)
K

May 21, 2007 9:50 PM  
Blogger Chris Humphreys said...

Amazing images you guys!

Really really good stuff!

I've wanted to go to Ireland for so long, so I'm so happy you guys are able to go!

May 21, 2007 10:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amazing! It looks like a fantastic trip, and as always, I so enjoy "listening" to you write :) You are a wonderful writer and really captured a beautiful sense of what traveling is.

Thanks for sharing! Beautiful pics!

May 21, 2007 11:58 PM  
Blogger Scarlett Lillian // Jacksonville Senior Photographer said...

WOW, love the pics of the edge of the world. You are such a beautiful writer Rachel! I also love the pink shootsac pic! So funny!

May 22, 2007 12:19 AM  
Blogger regina holder said...

Glad you had such a wonderful trip. I vote for the LaCour advanced lighting workshop in Ireland. See you in Orlando!

Big hugs!
regina

May 23, 2007 2:33 AM  
Blogger whitebox weddings said...

sorry we missed meeting you guys when we were in atl. we really enjoyed meeting mark and erin.

your photos from your trip are amazing!

i want to sing pub songs and drink good beer in ireland too!

May 23, 2007 11:31 AM  
Blogger Garrett Nudd Photography Blog said...

What a trip! Thanks for sharing your thoughts and your images. Love you guys!

May 25, 2007 2:16 PM  
Blogger Mike Larson said...

wow, sweet shots, that almost looks like hawaii there on the top shot. I am jealous, you guys had such a great time. thats cool. well, have a great day and talk to you soon. keep up the inspiration!!

May 25, 2007 8:50 PM  
Blogger jessicaclaire said...

bahahahahahaha! can you email me anything you have of the flamingo or the shootsac from this trip? jessica@jcsphoto.com

July 18, 2007 1:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home