Sunday, October 29, 2006

Hail Mary!


So why is this blog post title closely associated with the Catholic faith paired with a photo that is obviously from a Jewish wedding? The irony is not lost on me. Read on...

I am just shy of six feet tall. Unfortunately, so are most other people. This is a particular problem on a crowded dance floor during the traditional Jewish chair dance called the "Hora".

When I find myself in this situation, I borrow a trick from my sports photography days. I use a technique called the "Hail Mary," which is when you hold the camera over your head and shoot "blind."

With the advent of digital photography, this technique became much easier because you receive instant feedback. Back in the film days, I used to pray the "Hail Mary" that my shot was framed up correctly, sharp and properly exposed.

This technique is about instinct and familiarity with your equipment -- and luck, of course! You must feel comfortable and confident enough in your own photographic abilities to risk a key storytelling image to the photographic equivalent of a calculated guess.

To perfect this technique, it is important to use a wide-angle lens (with a naturally deeper depth-of-field) and to increase your aperture one to two stops (shoot at about f4.5). Pre-focus the camera on the subject before lifting it over your head, and then aim the lens at a slightly lower angle than you would expect.

The prayer helps too.-Andrew

2 Comments:

Blogger matt mendelsohn said...

Leave it to the least religious Jew on the planet to clarify your post, but I've never heard it referred to as just a "chair dance" before. It's actually called the Hora and it's almost always paired with Hava Nagila, a song that even most non-Jews can hum and whose title means 'Let us rejoice.' ( Wikipedia says that Harry belafonte once recorded a version.)

Done properly, if one can use that term, a good Hora will last around 15 minutes, with the chairs coming only after some very sweaty traditional circle dancing.

I'm with you guys on the Hail Mary. It gets so rough in those scrums that I sometimes think I'm back in the old days, trying to fight to get a picture of two coaches shaking hands after the Super Bowl.

I had a wedding recently where the non-Jewish mother of the groom refused to be hoisted. It was a real party-pooping thing to do, though no one had the nerve to say so. When in Rome....

As always, love the blog!

Matt

October 30, 2006 10:46 AM  
Blogger LaCour said...

Matt,

Forgive my ignorance. I'm just a simple Presbyterian. We'll have to put you on retainer as our Jewish consultant :)

BTW, we picked up the print you sent today and it looks great in the frame. Thank you again for your kindness.

Any Catholics out there who take issue with my "Hail Mary" reference?

Andrew

October 31, 2006 1:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home