Thursday, November 30, 2006

Holiday Reading List (Left Brain Style)

As a follow-up to yesterday's post, I compiled a list of my "Top 10" business books. All of these have played a role in our business development, and have shaped my philosophy about building the LaCour brand. Book Number 9, The Call, was given to me as a gift by my father. It changed my definition of success and challenged me to carefully consider my goals as a photographer and business owner. Book Number 10, The World Is Flat, is my assigned reading for December! Please send me your recommendations. I'd love to hear your thoughts. Happy Reading Everyone!

1) The E-Myth Revisited: Why Most Small Businesses Don't Work and What to Do About It, by Michael E. Gerber

2) The Power of Cult Branding: How 9 Magnetic Brands Turned Customers Into Loyal Followers, by Matthew W. Ragas and BJ Bueno

3) Creating Customer Evangelists: How Loyal Customers Become a Volunteer Sales Force, by Ben McConnell, Jackie Huba, Guy Kawasaki

4) How to Win Friends & Influence People, by Dale Carnegie

5) Selling the Invisible: A Field Guide to Modern Marketing, by Harry Beckwith

6) Enduring Passion: The Story of the Mercedes-Benz Brand, by Leslie Butterfield

7) Lovemarks: The Future Beyond Brands, by Kevin Roberts

8) Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking, by Malcolm Gladwell

9) The World Is Flat: A Brief History of the Twenty-first Century, by Thomas L. Friedman

10) The Call: Finding and Fulfilling the Central Purpose of Your Life, by Os Guinness

And one random addition that never seems to fit neatly into any category: The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron
-Rachel

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

selling the invisible is the best book ever, followed closely by how to win friends and influence people. good list, i have all of those books even though i haven't read them all.

November 30, 2006 11:39 PM  
Blogger || davidjay || said...

You guys are so awesome!

December 01, 2006 4:07 AM  
Blogger Cameron Clark | baby business blog said...

I read the Chapnick book in college. Makes me proud to be a photojournalist.

I have one to add --
"Let My People Go Surfing" by Yvon Chouinard, fouder and owner of Patagonia. Chouinard has always made the environment a priority within Patagonia and has embraced and pioneered corporate family values including childcare on site in their Ventura,CA office. The lengths and expense this man took to incorportate Organic cotten is incredible. I, myself joined the 1% for the Planet after reading it and donate 1% of my SALES (not profit) to the environment. I acutally considered quitting photography and working for such an admirable company. His example makes you ask: do I have a negative impact on the planet and if so, what am I doing to offset that? Power down those computers at night and buy Patagonia (hence making me a Customer Evangelista)

December 01, 2006 10:52 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Great list. I also suggest reading Beckwith's other book " The Invisible Touch". Paul Gero turned me onto "9 Lies That Are Holding Your Business Back" by Steve Chandler and Sam Beckford. Happy reading...

December 01, 2006 5:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home