Monday, November 13, 2006

Photography as a Calling:
Making a Life, Not Just a Living.

One of the primary reasons we chose to start our own business was to create freedom in our lives.

In the early stages of our business, Mark wisely encouraged us to read Michael Gerber's incredible book, The E-Myth. Gerber's mantra is: "The purpose of your life is not to serve your business -- but the purpose of your business is to serve your life." When your business serves your life, you are liberated and given the freedom to truly pursue the dreams you've imagined.

Sounds great, huh?

After reading the E-Myth, I mulled over its principles for a few days and kept asking myself, "So, now what?" Achieving freedom is great. But...freedom to do what?

That deeply-rooted question haunts me daily; it challenges me more than any financial or artistic question ever could. So, this week when I had the opportunity to spend time with two photographers I admire and respect, I brought this question along with me.

Over lunch, wedding photographer David Jay talked about why it is important to anchor oneself with basic, soul-searching questions such as, "What am I doing with my life?," "Why am I here anyway?," and "What do I want to do with the freedom I'm working so hard to achieve?" David has been at the forefront of the wedding photography industry this year, selflessly sharing his message about "Creating Freedom" with photographers around the US. His message is vital to the future of the industry itself. We must learn how to build businesses that give us freedom. Otherwise, how will we ever find time to serve one another and serve the world? You can't change the world if you're too busy designing wedding albums, burning disks and slaving away in photoshop! Thankfully, David is pushing photographers to develop smart business strategies that will set them on a path to freedom.

Over dinner, documentary photographer Colin Finlay talked about how he has achieved financial freedom through photographing corporate advertising campaigns. By shooting lucrative ad projects, Colin is able to use the freedom he has earned to travel the globe, documenting human suffering. These are the photographs that Colin is truly passionate about. He believes photography is a catalyst for social change. By bearing witness to tragedy, Colin gives a voice to the voiceless. "Giving people the ability to speak through my camera is what charges me," Colin says. His latest book, Testify, is a 17-year retrospective of his documentary work. Most recently, he established a community of photographers who are creating a collective photo story of Sudan's history. The project, called "PROOF," will include a traveling exhibition of photographs. Colin exemplifies what I hope to do with the freedom I achieve through my business. He is a purpose-driven photographer, with a clear sense of calling. He is using his freedom to give something back to the world.

So, this week has been one of those surreal seasons that reminds me why I believe every life has a purpose and every person has a calling. Once you discern what that purpose and calling is, you can truly harness the freedom your business creates for you. And you can use that freedom to give back. And then, there's no limit to what you might accomplish.

"Our calling is where our deepest gladness and the world's hunger meet." — Frederich Buechner-Rachel

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So interesting & timely. . .I've been wrestling with the exact same ideas. My resolve has simply been to shut down the computer and spend a bit more time with the family. . .the pictures and emails will still be there tomorrow:)

November 13, 2006 8:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Rachel!

Loved hearing and meeting you in Chattanooga last week. I hope to see you some time in the future!

Lovely post here--I read the E-Myth a few weeks ago, and it was amazing for me and my business. Freedom as DJ has talked about is indeed a true possibility. I know it to some degree, but crave plenty more as my family knows. Giving back couldn't be more wonderful, and that is where we find our niche for sharing our freedom. Personally, I've been able to learn how to play drums and be a part of an all-girl praise band that travels! It has been amazingly fulfilling and thrilling to see how God works through each of the five of us individually, as a group as well as the ministry that He is building through us. He is amazing! So, yes! It's worth finding some freedom! Find it and relish it with all the gifts with which you've been blessed!

Be blessed,

Carole Foret

November 13, 2006 10:22 PM  
Blogger LaCour said...

Hi Carole!

We enjoyed meeting you in TN too!
Thank for the comments about my post.
I am going to post some more info about a great book I read a few years ago about finding your calling.
Watch for the update soon on the blog!
Does your band have a website? I'd love to check it out.

Best,

Rachel

November 13, 2006 10:45 PM  
Blogger 6 of Four Creations said...

Hey!

We bought the E Myth yesterday. Do you think I can read and edit at the same time....the two I'm torn between today! :D

I ask the question why and who am I. Who am I in the why. I have come to some exciting conclusions! :)

We missed you the other night!

Katie

November 14, 2006 7:35 AM  
Blogger Scarlett Lillian // Jacksonville Senior Photographer said...

Great post Rachel! Thanks for sharing. I keep hearing more and more about that book. I think I'm going to break down and go get it now. I'm with Katie, I wish I could read and edit at the same time. ha!

November 14, 2006 12:16 PM  
Blogger Jasmine said...

What an awesome post! I echo everyone's sentiments in what a pleasure it was meeting you in TN last week. I can't wait for our paths to cross again in the near future.

November 14, 2006 2:32 PM  
Blogger LaCour said...

Jasmine,

Thanks for your feedback. We enjoyed meeting you in TN!
Hopefully, we'll make it out to the westcoast sometime soon.

BTW, loved your interview with Mike on WedShooter.com

Very cool!

Rachel

November 14, 2006 4:58 PM  
Blogger Darlene said...

OMG you guys!

I am SO on this path too! I love connecting with people that are like minded.

My latest thing I'm interested in is helping trouble youth get off the streets. There is a local group that takes teens that are high risk and helps them find a purpose to their lives and helps them clean up and do something with their lives. They are recording music in a tiny studio, do pottery, painting incredible works of art and designing fashion! I donated my time and plan on going to go photograph them to help with their campaign to raise funds for their projects.

This is their site: http://www.ihuman.org

I also love the Dove campaign now and had some ideas around helping young kids (specifically girls) improve their self esteem through mentoring and photographs of them. Just an idea at this point.

Love to hear I'm not the only one with a life mission.

I also recently read his book and went to Millionaire Mind by T. Harv Eker. It was mind changing regarding money (and life) and how we can achieve the elusive freedom we all want. If anyone wants to know more, email me at darlene@herview.ca and I'll tell you anything you want to know.

cheers
Darlene

November 23, 2006 3:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home