Monday, September 03, 2007

18 Hours in Indy




"Hell don't care, but heaven knows, I'm up in Indiana where the tall corn grows!"—Lyle Lovett

I always loved the Choose Your Own Adventure book series as a kid. This weekend proved that I have not outgrown my love of wacky, winding plot lines that require quick decisions and childlike imagination!

LaCour didn't have wedding shoots scheduled for Labor Day weekend. Our grand plan included gardening and cleaning closets. But, boy, were we in for an adventure!

6am Saturday morning: I was stirring in my sleep, my phone's persistent buzzing coaxing me awake. I saw a message from Indianapolis-based photographer Kevin Swan.

He and his wife had been awake all night, sick with serious cases of food poisoning. As all wedding photographers know, this is a crisis situation! Kevin had a big wedding to shoot in Indianapolis, and barely had enough energy to walk out his front door.

7am: After an hour of brainstorming and phone calling, Andrew and I decided to hop on a flight from Atlanta to Indy. I called every major airline, and finally found an itinerary that would get us to the wedding by 4:30pm.

8am: Andrew and I scrambled to get our gear packed, threw on our wedding attire and shoved everything into our car.

9am: We made it to the airport in time to hurry through security and get on board our 10:30am flight.

4pm: Woo-hoo. We arrived in Indy, tired but excited to start shooting!

Despite my classifying him as "walking wounded," Kevin managed to greet us with a characteristically infectious smile. The rest of the day was a blur of frenzied fun, fueled by friendship.

We flew home on Sunday morning at 9am.

What an adventure! I would choose it all over again.




Check out Kev's BLOG for gory details!
-Rachel

6 Comments:

Blogger || davidjay || said...

You guys rock. I can't believe you bailed out that sissy.

Happy Birthday too! Yea! :)

September 04, 2007 1:58 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

I love how you two pull this off, pulling together impossible schedules at a moments notice! What I really love is how you jump in and make things happen for others!!!

September 04, 2007 12:53 PM  
Blogger 6 of Four Creations said...

What a great story...amazing people you are!

September 04, 2007 7:00 PM  
Blogger Daniel J. Watkins said...

wow...how lucky are swan's clients to have you two as back-ups???? i'm gonna have to figure out when you two aren't shooting and then go eat some fifteen week old cottage cheese. LOL

September 05, 2007 3:36 PM  
Blogger Brian + Gry said...

Well, yeah that's all cool and everything but what about the closets and the gardening? ;)

xoxoxo,
brian + gry

September 05, 2007 5:58 PM  
Blogger Rebecca Kiger said...

That was a simply amazing story. When I first saw the pic of Rachel in the grass and the word "Indy", I thought you had some secret interest in speedracing. Instead, you've confirmed again that you are amazing photographers and truly gracious. Andrew, the wide shot of the first dance? You're sizzling.

September 07, 2007 5:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home