Monday, March 03, 2008

The Effects of Foundation

It's hard to aptly describe the Foundation Workshop. It was founded six years ago by former Dallas Morning News photographer Huy Nguyen to teach wedding photographers how to be photojournalists. But it's so much more than that. Mark served as a mentor last year, and was asked to return this year to work with Huy's team. This year I was also lucky enough to be brought on as a mentor, working with Tyler Wirken's team. I came in expecting an intense, fast-paced week of shooting and editing. I got that, but I also found myself with 40 new friends who now share a bond that's simply indescribable. Former Foundation students are correct in saying this workshop changes lives. I saw it with my own eyes, and felt it in my own heart.

Below are a few photos from Mark's and my cameras.

-Erin


Greg Gibson gives a talk on the first day about the history of photojournalism. That's Ben Chrisman on the floor. Ben was tapped to be one of two official photographers to document the workshop.


Mark's shot of a church at sunset


Andrew Mejia, who was on Mark's team, working the McKinney Community Center.


The famous Sergio, who served as a mentor along with Mark on Huy Nguyen's team.


Emilie Sommer, a mentor for Brooks Whittington's team.


Erwin and Ray of Apertura, along with Ben Chrisman and Ed Atrero, who was a student on my team.




David Pullum, a student on Erin's team, photographs skateboarders. This was his first of many times down in the bowls at the skate park.

8 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Erin. My girl. I feel ya. It was an incredible week! I miss you guys like nobody's business! It was an honest pleasure having you on the team this year! See ya in August!

TYler

March 04, 2008 9:51 AM  
Blogger sedona bride { destination wedding photographers } said...

I can't think of a better way to describe the Foundation Workshop! Very nicely stated, Erin :)

We can't wait to see you guys out here in AZ soon... ~~!!~~ :)

~amejia~

March 04, 2008 11:02 AM  
Blogger Ben Chrisman said...

hey, my gypsy boots are famous! :-)

March 04, 2008 2:30 PM  
Blogger emilie said...

Well said, Erin.

That's a pretty frightening picture of me! Late night with little sleep on a critique night! Ack!

See you in a few weeks!!!
Hugs!

March 04, 2008 4:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Erin & Mark,

You two are fabulous and I am honored to finally met you guys! We definitely should talk more. :-)

Ray

March 04, 2008 5:12 PM  
Blogger Aga said...

It was so nice to meet you guys! You are wicked cool...and cute!
Loved every minute of the Foundation and being in such an awesome company.
Thank you.

March 04, 2008 9:02 PM  
Blogger Kristina said...

It was great to be back at FW with you Mark and doubly great that Erin could come this time! It is an amazing week and it is so great to have you both there to share it with!

Tina

March 05, 2008 6:30 PM  
Blogger Sergio said...

Mark and Erin,

You two are two of my fav people. I would love to hang with you two more often.

You two rock!

Sergio

March 23, 2008 8:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home