Monday, December 10, 2007

In the Beginning...

Robert Doisneau, Henri Cartier-Bresson, Willy Ronis

Sometimes I just want to start over, at the beginning.

As the wedding season ends, hours of shooting and editing make me restless. Inevitably, I crave inspiration.

Tonight my eyes scanned crammed bookshelves for some photo therapy.

I turned the pages of my favorite books and began an hour-long journey that led to a simple realization: at the end of any photographic pilgrimage, I always return to the same place — the unaltered moment.

In the end, the photographs I value most are about moments. No more, no less. They are irreducible.

I am so thankful for these three photojournalists, who saw the extraordinary in ordinary, quiet moments. Indeed, the most powerful moments are the quiet ones, like a quick intake of breath.

"We shall not cease from exploration and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started... and know the place for the first time."
-T.S. Eliot


-Rachel

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Garrett Nudd Photography Blog said...

Well said, my friend. Thanks all four of you for always sharing and always inspiring.

December 10, 2007 10:21 AM  
Blogger Christopher Record said...

Amen Rachel! These are my favorite kind of photos as well.

December 10, 2007 1:56 PM  
Blogger emilie said...

Exactly, Rachel. So glad you posted this!! Hugs!

December 11, 2007 5:57 PM  
Blogger Willians de Moraes said...

Hi Rachel! I love these guys.

December 11, 2007 8:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So very true, Rachel. At the end of the year I always revisit why I love photography so much, and your post is very timely. Thanks for posting.

December 12, 2007 9:41 PM  
Blogger Константин Андрюхин said...

Words of the wise man.

December 14, 2007 12:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home