Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.


It's late and, as usual, I have an early flight to catch.

Instead of sleeping, I'm thinking about ambition and purpose. I am drawn to ambitious, passionate people who are hungry to achieve an audacious goal. They are wholly committed to a vision and are willing to work like trojans to make their vision a reality.

In order to contextualize my drowsy thoughts, I tried to think of my first memory of being inspired by this brand of ambition and purpose.

I immediately recalled the day my brother showed me one of the earliest Macintosh computers. Hidden inside that unassuming beige case is something surprising and spectacular: the individual signatures of the Macintosh creators. My brother and I stared at them, picking out familiar names like Steve Jobs and Steve "Woz" Wozniak.

I love the implication of this subtle detail. Since the Macintosh team considered themselves artists and took great pride in their creation, it was appropriate that they sign their work! Steve Jobs came up with the idea of having each team member's signature engraved on the plastic case, so they appeared inside every Mac that rolled off the production line.

Years later, Steve Jobs delivered a reflective speech to the graduating class of Stanford University. My Dad sent me and my brother the entire transcript. My favorite part is this quote:

"You've got to find what you love. And that is as true for your work as it is for your lovers. Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking. Don't settle. As with all matters of the heart, you'll know when you find it. And, like any great relationship, it just gets better and better as the years roll on.

I believe that ambitious seekers like Steve Jobs love their work and don't even consider it a burden. Their work is an artistic, joyful, fulfilling, highly organizing principle of life. By viewing work this way, it's possible to remove the ultimate creative block: money. What we want to do is what we're meant to do. By working hard to follow a vision, money comes, doors open and work seems like play. Creativity lies within a paradox: Serious art is born from serious play.-Rachel

Labels:

17 Comments:

Blogger Joy Nudd said...

Beautifully said and so very true. Thank you for starting out my morning with such great thoughts and philosophy.

November 06, 2007 8:43 AM  
Blogger Garrett Nudd Photography Blog said...

Very well said, Rachel. Joy and I have Jobs' speech downloaded on our computer. It's brilliant. And you've brought new light to it. Thanks!

November 06, 2007 8:53 AM  
Blogger Dawn Davis said...

Rachel,

You have such an elegant way of putting your thoughts into words. Your words always leave me speechless! I'd like to refer to your post today on our blog. I hope you don't mind.

Thank you for stopping by our blog today and leaving such an amazing comment. You and your team inspire us deeply. And your friendship means the world to us.

We leave for Africa in 10 days and we're so excited. It's going to be an amazing adventure... one I hope our kids will remember for a lifetime.

~ Dawn

November 06, 2007 4:02 PM  
Blogger LaCour said...

Beautifully worded, Rachel! We love your late-night sleepy thoughts : ) ~ Erin

November 06, 2007 7:21 PM  
Blogger sticky said...

Now that's something to think about!!
Thank you so much for sharing that with all of us.

Grand Slammin'

November 06, 2007 9:33 PM  
Blogger Robin One Photography said...

so much truth in those words. thank you for sharing them with us... to inspire and ignite the passion we all have to do something we love to do.

November 06, 2007 10:31 PM  
Blogger Donna Keidel said...

Who knew that Warren Beatty would be able to sum up my feelings....

"You've achieved success in your field when you don't know whether what you are doing is work or play."

November 07, 2007 7:56 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wow, thank you for writing that. That's such an encouragement. I'm going to post a link to it from my blog if you don't mind.

November 07, 2007 9:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You and the LaCour/ShootQ crew are great examples of ..."working hard to follow a vision,...Serious art is born from serious play."

You (all, ya'all) deserve all the success you can stand.

November 07, 2007 9:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for being such a model of passion and ambition! This is beautifully written! Thank you so much for sharing and encouraging us :)

November 07, 2007 1:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for being such a model of passion and ambition! This is beautifully written! Thank you so much for sharing and encouraging us :)

November 07, 2007 1:15 PM  
Blogger Eyes 2 See said...

Rachel,

"You are my ambassador of quan!" - Jeremy Maguire

I think what you are describing is the feeling of being completely immersed in something so deeply that love and beauty naturally spring forth. These moments allow us to transcend ordinary life and to lift off for a moment into an eternal experience where our greatest work becomes an overflow of our greatest worship.

John Pipper put it this way! We are most satisfied when God is most Glorified.

November 07, 2007 6:27 PM  
Blogger 6 of Four Creations said...

As always, you have encouraged us to ponder and inspired us! : )

November 07, 2007 6:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Couldn't of said it better myself! I am going to put that quote on my mirror and read it everyday! I love following my dreams and I love seeing other people follow their dreams!!

November 08, 2007 12:07 PM  
Blogger J said...

Excellent post! Do what you love, love what you do!

I am setting an ambitious goal right now!

November 09, 2007 10:32 AM  
Blogger Brian Tighe said...

Lovely

November 09, 2007 2:44 PM  
Blogger Kristina said...

Rachel,
I purposely waited to read this post until I would have a minute to soak it all in. I am glad I waited, truly inspiring words from inspiring people. Thank you for sharing it!

Tina

November 10, 2007 11:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home